One of the things we learned at Totonal is that to measure the success of our efforts towards sustainable tourism, we must begin by measuring the economic impact of our tourism activity in rural communities.
For this reason, in 2017 we decided to make the first company review and we were pleased to find out that we managed to divert $ 1 million MX to community-based tourism projects in Mexico. You will ask yourself, is this a lot or is it little? In fact, this figure means the point of reference to start our annual comparison, and to identify how much we are contributing to the sustainable development of our rural communities through tourism.
In addition, 2017 has been a crucial year for us, since we have grown 400% over the previous year. Our CEO was the winner of Bridge to Paris, a start-up accelerator program of Station F in Paris, and we have lived through several key milestones in the development of the company: obtaining two certifications of sustainable tourism for tour operators (Rainforest Alliance and Travelife) and the publication and recognition by the UNWTO of Totonal Viajes as a success case of the implementation of sustainable tourism.
We picked up some of these key points, so that when we look back, we always remember that 2017 was much more than the International Year of Sustainable Tourism for Development:
We know that numbers and figures can be quite boring. However, we believe that they are necessary to show the world that change is happening, that it is something tangible and that we are part of the process. That is why we are proud to confirm that:
- 324 national and international travelers (from France, England, Holland, Sweden, Canada, Spain, Belgium, Germany, Chile, Colombia) discovered Mexico with us in 2017.
- We generate an economic income of more than one million pesos in community tourism initiatives located mainly in Yucatan, Quintana Roo, Chiapas, Oaxaca and Puebla.
- We gave 6 seminars on Mexico in France and 5 in Spain, showing our country from a sustainable tourism perspective.
- We were certified with Rainforest Alliance and Travelife, two important organizations that guarantee our commitment to sustainability.
- We participated in 3 international tourism fairs and we were the winners of Bridge to Paris, an international program for innovative start-ups in France.
- We launched our new business line "Totonal Emprex", to offer alternative travel experiences to corporations that benefit various social projects. We obtained our first contribution of 17,460.25 pesos for the reconstruction of the home of the Bolaños family, who lost their house in the community of Chietla, Puebla, following the earthquake of 19 S.
We are very grateful for this incredible 2017, and more than ready to start with the same passion and commitment with everything that comes to us in 2018.
Let's continue building together!